Moving out of a rental property can be a stressful experience, both emotionally and financially. The cost of packing, moving, and cleaning could easily break the bank. One of the highest expenses that tenants often face when moving out is the End of tenancy cleaning. But what are the average prices in London, and how can you save money?
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the cost of End of tenancy cleaning based on research on 50 different cleaning companies. We’ll provide you with practical tips for saving money, an expert guide on how to do it yourself, and we’ll look at all factors that influence the price. Let’s dive in!
End of tenancy cleaning prices
The average End of tenancy cleaning prices varies depending on the size of the property and the level of cleaning required. On average, you can expect to pay £100 for a small studio flat in a reasonable state of cleanliness and up to £650 for a 6+ bedroom house. However, prices can change based on a number of factors that we’ll talk about later in this article.
For this example, we’ll provide the lower-end and higher-end prices that include a thorough cleaning of all bedrooms, bathrooms, living areas and the kitchen including all white goods and other appliances without carpets and upholstery. The balcony, garage and external windows are also not included.
- Studio flat – £100.00 to £180.00
- 1 Bed 1 Bath – £140.00 to £228.00
- 2 Bed 1 Bath – £192.00 to £276.00
- 3 Bed 1 Bath – £214.00 to £372.00
- 3 Bed 2 Bath – £236.00 to £420.00
- 4 Bed 1 Bath – £236.00 to £468.00
- 4 Bed 2 Bath – £258.00 to £516.00
- 4 Bed 3 Bath – £280.00 to £564.00
- 5 Bed 1 Bath – £258.00 to £516.00
- 5 Bed 2 Bath – £280.00 to £564.00
- 5 Bed 3 Bath – £302.00 to £612.00
- 6+ Bedroom house – £330.00 to £650.00
Free End of tenancy cleaning quotes
We are happy to provide you with a free, no-obligation quote. Get a tailored price for your property based on your specific requirements.
Factors affecting the cost of End of tenancy cleaning
The size of the property and the level of cleaning required are the main factors that affect End of tenancy cleaning costs. For example, if the property hasn’t been cleaned professionally for several years, or if it is larger, the cost will be higher.
- Size of the property: The size of the property is one of the most significant factors affecting the price. The larger the property, the more time and resources are required to clean it thoroughly, ultimately leading to a higher price.
- Condition of the property: The property condition is also a key component when estimating the cost of End of tenancy cleaning. For example, if the property is in poor condition, with extensive stains, grime, and dirt, it may require more time to clean it up to standard.
- The property type: The property type can also affect the cost of End of tenancy cleaning. For example, a one-bedroom flat will be cheaper to clean than a multi-bedroom house with several bathrooms, stairs and larger living areas.
- Cleaning equipment and supplies: The cost of the cleaning equipment and supplies needed for the job can also impact the End of tenancy cleaning cost. Some properties may require specialist cleaning products or equipment, which can be more expensive.
- When do you need the cleaning: If you book in advance, the price would be lower than if you book for the same or the next day. Usually, cleaning companies charge double prices for same-day services.
- Additional services: Services such as carpet cleaning, upholstery and external windows cleaning will ultimately increase the final cost of End of tenancy cleaning as it requires particular skills and professional cleaning equipment to complete the job.
- Location of the property: The property location can also influence the End of tenancy cleaning cost. Properties in more affluent areas may be more expensive to clean due to higher overhead costs, and properties in remote or hard-to-reach locations may also cost more due to increased travel expenses.
- The time of the year: For example, demand for cleaning services is higher during peak moving season, leading to higher costs. Conversely, you may be able to negotiate a lower price during slower seasons.
Services affecting the End of tenancy cleaning prices
When considering an End of tenancy clean, it’s essential to ensure that you receive a detailed quote and it’s worth noting that some appliances, along with other aspects of the property such as carpets and furniture upholstery, might not be included in the price of a standard End of tenancy cleaning service.
To help you plan your budget, we’ve included the most common additional services you may need for an End of tenancy cleaning and their average cost.
1. Oven cleaning
- Single oven – £20.00 – £60.00
- Double oven – £30.00 – £80.00
- Range oven – £40.00 – £150.00
2. Carpet cleaning
- Bedroom carpet – £20.00 – £50.00
- Living room carpet – £20.00 – £70.00
- Hallway carpet – £10.00 – £40.00
- Stairs – £20.00 – £50.00 (some providers charge £2.00 – £5.00 per step)
3. Upholstery cleaning
- Upholstered chairs – £15.00 – £40.00
- 2-seater sofa – £30.00 – £60.00
- 3-seater sofa – £40.00 – £80.00
- L shape 3-seater sofa – £45.00 – £90.00
- L shape 4-seater sofa – £50.00 – £100.00
- L shape 5-seater sofa – £60.00 – £120.00
4. Mattress cleaning
- Single mattress – £20.00 – £30.00
- Double mattress – £30.00 – £45.00
- Queen mattress – £35.00 – £55.00
- King-size mattress – £40.00 – £65.00
5. Window blinds cleaning
- Venetian blinds (made of solid material) – £15.00 – £ 30.00
- Roman blinds (made of fabric) – £30.00 – £60.00
6. Fridge and Freezer cleaning
- Fridge cleaning – £10.00 – £25.00
- Freezer cleaning – £10.00 – £35.00
7. External window cleaning
Not all landlords and lettings agents are fussy about the cleanliness of the external windows during End of tenancy preparations, however, we’ve received a number of requests from clients asking about external window cleaning. Depending on the number of windows, their sizes, the height of your property and the level of dirt, it could take from 30 min to 3 hours to complete and the price ranges between £15.00 and £30.00 per hour.
How to save on the cost of End of tenancy cleaning
Now that we’ve discussed the average End of tenancy cleaning prices and the factors that can impact it, let’s take a look at some practical tips for saving money.
- Book early: Many cleaners offer discounts for bookings made in advance, so be sure to book your End of tenancy cleaning early.
- Get quotes from several cleaners: Don’t settle for the first quote you receive. Instead, get quotes from several different cleaners before making a decision. This will help you compare prices and find the best deal.
- Do the cleaning yourself: If you have the time and energy, you can save money by doing the cleaning yourself. Focus on the areas that are most important to your landlord, such as the kitchen and bathroom and then clean the rest. We’ll provide a guide for you at the bottom of this article.
- Look for deals and discounts: Keep an eye out for deals and discounts on End of tenancy cleaning in newspapers, online, and on social media.
- Ask your landlord for recommendations: Your landlord may be able to give you a discount if you use their preferred cleaner.
- Check for grants or subsidies: Some local councils offer grants or subsidies to help tenants with the cost of End of tenancy cleaning.
- Look for loyalty programs or referral discounts: Some cleaning companies offer loyalty programs or referral discounts that can save you money
A Friendly Advice:
It’s crucial to ensure that you’re not compromising on the quality of the cleaning just to save money. In some cases, if your landlord isn’t happy with the cleaning, could refuse to return your deposit. You should focus on the areas that are most important to your landlord, such as the kitchen and bathroom, and make sure that the cleaning is done to a high standard. Also, keep in mind that many cleaners are willing to negotiate on price, especially if you’re booking multiple services.
How to find a good End of tenancy cleaner
Finding a reputable cleaner is crucial to avoid scams and other disappointments. To ensure a high-quality service, look for cleaning agencies and companies with good reviews and check their credentials. Note that, the number of reviews isn’t as important as the quality of reviews.
Here at 1Clean, we take the hassle of finding reliable End of tenancy cleaners away. Our rigorous onboarding process allows us to filter through candidates and sign up only the top 2%. We research cleaning providers and check their references and reviews. We assess their previous work, conducting face-to-face interviews to verify their experience, professionalism, and keen attention to detail. The 100% Satisfaction Guarantee gives you peace of mind, knowing that if your cleaners miss a spot, we’ll send them back to re-clean for free.
Get End of tenancy cleaning quotes
Our specialist cleaning crews are available in all areas of London. Request a free no-obligation quote for your property now.
How to do the End of tenancy cleaning by yourself
We mentioned earlier that if you want to save even more money, best to try and clean the property by yourself. Of course, you should consider your friends and family, they would love to help you. So here are a few tips to make the process a little easier.
- Make a checklist: Start by making a checklist of all the areas in the property that need cleaning. This will help you stay organised and ensure that you don’t miss anything. Here you can access our End of Tenancy checklist for free.
- Gather your supplies: Make sure you have all the necessary cleaning supplies before you get started. This includes cleaning products, clothes, sponges, a mop, a bucket and a vacuum cleaner.
- Focus on the most important areas: Some areas are more important than others. Focus your cleaning efforts on the kitchen and bathroom, as these are the areas that are most likely to impact your landlord’s decision to return your deposit.
- Clean systematically: Work your way through the property systematically, starting with one room at a time. This will help you stay focused and ensure that you don’t miss anything.
- Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint: Plan ahead plenty of time before you start as the move-out cleaning could take a long time and elbow grease. Cleaning is a very hard job and could be dangerous. I had a 5-bedroom house to clean and I planned for a 3 days marathon. Instead, I challenged myself and finished within 2 days and will never do the same mistake again. For over a month after that, I was unable to move my right-hand wrist because of the pressure I put into scrubbing and wiping. I learned the hard way and I hope you won’t have to.
- Don’t forget the details: When it comes to End of tenancy cleaning, it’s the details that count. Make sure you clean all the nooks and crannies, including the inside of drawers and cupboards, and behind appliances. Check the inside of your window tracks, they’re prone to accumulating mould and dirt.
- Be thorough: End of tenancy cleaning requires a high level of cleanliness, so make sure you’re thorough in your cleaning efforts. Use your checklist to ensure that you’ve covered everything, and don’t be afraid to go over areas multiple times.
- Check your work: Once you’ve finished cleaning, take a step back and check your work. Make sure everything is spotless and that you haven’t missed anything.
While doing End of tenancy cleaning yourself can be time-consuming, it can save you a lot of money. Just make sure you’re thorough in your cleaning efforts and try not to cut any corners.
End of tenancy cleaning prices: Conclusion
End of tenancy cleaning is an important part of moving out of a rental property, but it doesn’t have to break the bank. Prices vary between £100 and £650 based on property setup, level of cleanliness and other factors. We’ve outlined the average End of tenancy cleaning prices for 2023 and provided some practical tips to save money. By understanding the factors that affect the cost of cleaning and following the tips provided in this article, you can get the best deal. And if you’re looking to save even more money, consider doing the cleaning yourself by using our free checklist.